Coconut Lime Black Rice Cake with Raspberries
I recently had a salad with black rice and found the texture and taste very interesting – nothing like white rice at all.
As I have made a cake in the past with a white rice base I thought this would be a good ingredient to also make up a recipe with.
As black rice is a traditional Asian stable I felt the best pairing of ingredients and flavours would be additional traditional Asian favorites.
Therefore I came up with coconut and lime and for a twist of an additional flavour that brings the cake to the next level I have also incorporated beautiful fresh raspberries.
This cake is so moreish and the inclusion of star anise adds a beautiful after-tone.
- 1 cup black rice
- 3 cups water
- 6 star anise
- 3 tsn cinnamon
- 2 tbsn lime juice
- 1/4 tsn ground ginger
- 2 lime peels
- 150g brown sugar
- 2 eggs
- 1 + ½ tbsn corn flour
- 375ml coconut milk
- ½ tbsn corn flour
- 90g brown sugar
- 1 tbsn lime juice
- 1 tbsn mint leaves
- 90g raspberries
- ½ tbsn lime zest
- 15g desiccated coconut
- Place the rice in water overnight to soak.
- Pre-heat the oven to 180c degrees and line a 25cm cake tin with baking paper.
- Rinse the rice and pour into a saucepan with 3 cups water, the star anise, cinnamon, ginger, lime juice and peel.
- Stir on a high heat until boiling, then turn to medium and leave for 25 mins stirring occasionally or until the liquid is absorbed and the rice is cook cooked through.
- Add the sugar and stir for a further minute.
- Allow mix to cool slightly then stir through the flour and eggs.
- Pour the mix into the cake tin and bake for 30 mins or until a skewer inserted in the center comes out clean.
- Place the cake on a cooling rack until cold.
- Meanwhile to make the syrup place the flour and coconut milk in a bowl and beat until the flour is dissolved.
- Pour into a saucepan with the lime juice and mint leaves and heat on highuntil the mix boils.
- Turn doen the temprature to medium and allow to cook for 10 mins, stirring every few minutes.
- Place the pan aside to cool slightly.
- Place the cake back into the cake tin and top with the syrup.
- Leave aside for 1 hour for the cake to soak up the syrup.
- Transfer the cake onto a plate and top with raspberries, lime zest and desiccated coconut.
Like this recipe? Subscribe via RSS or email to get my new entries and more scrumptious recipes with reviews.