Carrot Chai Chocolate Mix Cake
The purpose of this cake was originally to utilise 2 cake mix’s and make a really quick and unique cake that took no effort and could be applied to any cake mix flavor’s.
After deciding that I would use carrot as my base I then opted for vanilla so I could add a few flavor profiles to the mix without letting them overpower the carrot base.
I needed complementary flavors to the carrot, not a flavor takeover! A little cocoa and chai powder seemed like the perfect match and just to put a spin on this I added a hit of chili.
I figured cocoa and chili go well and chai chocolate would be just like spiced chocolate. Carrot cake tends to have lots of spices thus the chai should work.
The chocolate and carrot combo…that was a risk, but a risk that paid off.
- 470g carrot cake mix
- 340g vanilla mix
- 70g chai powder
- 35g cocoa powder
- ¼ tsn chili powder
- 140g cake mix icing powder
- 70g chai powder
- 1/8th tsn chili powder
- 150g butter
- Pre heat the oven to 180c degrees and line 2 x 20cm cake tins with baking paper.
- Prepare the carrot cake according to the cake mix instructions (adding the egg, oil and water. Stir with a hand whisk until well combine etc).
- Pour the batter into a cake tin.
- Prepare the choc chai cake by adding the vanilla mix into a bowl through a sieve.
- Remove 100g of the vanilla mix and add the chai powder, cocoa powder and chili powder through a sieve, stir well.
- Continue the choc chai cake by preparing the cake mix according to the cake mix instructions (adding the egg and milk. Stir with a hand whisk until well combine etc).
- Pour the batter into the second cake tin.
- Place both cakes in the oven and bake according to box instructions (45 minutes) or until a skewer inserted in the cakes comes out clean.
- Place the cakes onto a cooling rack until cold.
- Meanwhile to prepare the icing place the icing mixes, chai powder, chili powder and butter (at room temperature) to a bowl and beat with electric beaters.
- Cut the tops off both cakes to ensure flat cakes.
- Cut both cakes into 2 horizontally.
- Place a carrot cake layer on a plate and spread with 100g of the icing.
- Add a chai cake on top and spread 100g of the icing.
- Add the last carrot cake layer and spread with 100g of icing.
- Top with the last chai cake layer and top with the remaining 100g of icing.
Like this recipe? Subscribe via RSS or email to get my new entries and more scrumptious recipes with reviews.