Date Bourbon and Chocolate Cakes
Believe it or not dates and bourbon actually have a similar flavour profile. However, they do have a big difference that is quite notable.
One ingredient is sweet as well as holding an earthy profile, while the other is strong in earthy sour smokiness. Put them together and the sweetness balances out the sourness and you are left with an interesting earthy flavour.
Add a hint of satisfying rich chocolate and you have chocolate cake with a satisfying unique tasty flavour twist.
- 350g dried dates
- 375ml water
- 35ml Bourbon
- 60g butter
- 160g brown sugar
- 3 eggs
- 180g flour
- 1 tsn baking powder
- ½ tsn bi carbonate of soda
- 30g cocoa powder
- 100g date sauce powder (or replace with 80g icing sugar if you cannot find this)
- 130g icing sugar
- 160g butter
- 10ml bourbon
- Pre-heat the oven to 160c degrees and line a 12 capacity cupcake tin with cupcake patties. Spray with oil spray.
- Place the dates and water into a saucepan on a low heat. Stir until the dates are plump and have soaked up all the water.
- Remove the dates from the pan, add the bouron and place into a food processor, blitz until well combine.
- Set the date mix aside to cool.
- Using electric beaters beat the cake butter and sugar until light and creamy.
- Add the eggs one at a time, beating in each addition until well combined.
- Sift into the egg mix the flour, powder, soda, and cocoa powder, stir until combine.
- Add the date mix to the egg mix and stir until just combine.
- Spoon the mix evenly into each patty case.
- Bake in the oven for 20 minutes or until a skewer inserted in the center comes out clean.
- Meanwhile make the icing by placing all the icing ingredients into a bowl and using electric beats whisk until light and fluffy.
- Once the cakes are cooked place on a cooling tray.
- Remove the cakes from the patty cases (optional) and using a piping bag with a star nozzle pipe little circles of icing onto each cake.
Like this recipe? Subscribe via RSS or email to get my new entries and more scrumptious recipes with reviews.