Swedish Pepparkakor Spice Cookies
The Pepparkakor cookie is a traditional Swedish Christmas cookie, commonly referred to as “ginger thins” or “gingernuts“ (however should not be mistaken for the US gingersnap biscuits in which are very different).
Swedish custom states you place a Pepparkakor cookie in the palm of your hand, then you make a wish while you use your index finger of your other hand to tap the cookie in the middle. If the Pepparkakor breaks into three pieces tradition states your wish will come true. As per most traditional treats there are many slightly varying recipes to these cookies. This was my favorite after trialing half a dozen.
To be honest I thought my gingerbread man recipe was the ultimate spiced treat, however this cookie has trumped my never fail absolutely amazing gingerbread recipe its that good.
- 225g plain flour
- 1 tsn ground cinnamon
- 1 tsn ground cloves
- 1 tsn ground ginger
- ¼ tsn ground cardamom
- ½ tsn baking powder
- ¼ tsn salt
- 100g butter
- 100g brown sugar
- 75g golden syrup
- In a bowl sieve the flour, ginger, cinnamon, cloves, cardamom, baking soda, and salt. Stir.
- Place the butter, sugar and syrup into a saucepan on a medium heat and stir until melted and well combined.
- Take off the heat and leave aside to cool.
- Sieve the flour mix over the cooled butter mix and stir until well combined.
- Form the dough into a ball shape, wrap in plastic wrap and place in the fridge for at least 4 hours.
- Preheat the oven to 175c degrees and line 2 baking trays with baking paper.
- Using a lightly floured rolling pin roll out the dough to a 2cm thickness on a lightly floured surface.
- Use a cookie cutter to cut the dough into shapes and place cookies onto the prepared baking tray.
- Place the trays in the oven for 7 minutes or until the cookies are lightly golden brown.
- Leave the cookies on the trays for 5 minutes before placing on to a wire rack to cool completely, durst with icing sugar.
Like this recipe? Subscribe via RSS or email to get my new entries and more scrumptious recipes with reviews