Low Fat White Chocolate Lemongrass Salted Macadamia Cupcakes
You are correct, white chocolate and macadamia is a stock-standard flavor combo, nothing new or unusual here. And lemon, well this is also a very common baking ingredient that is sometimes paired with white chocolate. The reason these flavors are common is because they are so divine together.
So if I’m creative a recipe that’s stock-standard what is going on and why even bother making up a recipe? The hero ingredient in which I have never baked with before and don’t believe I have ever even heard of being in a sweet treat before is the Lemongrass (also lemon and macadamia is a little unusual in itself but not enough for me to create a recipe off).
The lemongrass provides a lovely variation to the norm lemon flavor, the salted macadamia provides a lovely crunch texture to the cupcake and the salt elevates the tone in the white chocolate making this cupcake super delicious and walks all over any lemon cupcake I have ever had!
Also, the natural yoghurt and the lemon juice adds a slight sourness and bitterness that offsets the intense sweetness of the icing sugar making the icing a lovely more restrained addition.
- 250g flour
- 4 tsn baking powder
- ½ tsn salt
- 80g sugar
- 160g white chocolate
- 80g macadamias
- 40g Lemongrass
- 1 tbsn lemon zest
- 70g butter
- 100g apple puree
- 140ml buttermilk
- 2 eggs
- 70ml natural yoghurt
- 300g icing sugar
- 15ml lemon juice
- Pre-heat the oven to 200c degrees and line a 12 hole cupcake tin with patty cases.
- Sieve the flour, baking powder, salt and sugar in a bowl and stir to combine.
- Chop the white chocolate and macadamia into small pieces and place into the flour mix, stir.
- Grate the lemongrass and stir into the flour mix.
- Melt the butter in a bowl in the microwave and add the buttermilk, puree and eggs. Whisk with a hand whisk until well combined.
- Pour the milk mix into the flour mix and using a hand whisk beat until just combine.
- Pour the batter into the patty cases and bake in the oven for 20 minutes or until and skewer in the center comes out clean.
- Place the cupcakes onto a cooling rack until cool.
- Meanwhile to make the icing beat the ingredients until well combined.
- Using a spatula spread over the cupcake evenly.
- Grate extra white chocolate, macadamia and lemon zest over the icing.
- Step 4
- Step 6
- Step 7
- Step 8
Like this recipe? Subscribe via RSS or email to get my new entries and more scrumptious recipes with reviews.