Kahlua and Butterscotch Schnapps Cake
I was playing around with liquors in the kitchen over the weekend and decided that I wanted to make a decadently scrumptious cake off the base of 2 sweet, complimentary andinteresting alcoholic flavors.
I gave myself the challenge of coming up with a recipe off the flavor combination of Kahlua (coffee liquor) and Butterscotch Schnapps (Butterscotch liquor). I was looking for the mix of the sweet coffee flavor along with the butterscotch (almost caramel flavor). They both have such similar flavor profiles and taste spectacular together.
For a decadent cake I decided both liquors would be in the cake itself and I would have a filling based on one liquor and icing based on the other.
To further add to this flavor mix and take the cake to the next level I decided to add white chocolate as well as cream to excel the flavor and add a profile that can bring the sweetness back down to be highly palatable for all.
- 220g brown sugar
- 75g butter
- 3 egg
- 190ml butterscotch Schnapps
- 185ml milk
- 285g self raising flour
- 40ml Kahlua
- 125ml cream
- 30g Kahlua
- 375g white chocolate
- 200ml cream
- 20ml butterscotch Schnapps
- 15g icing sugar
- Pre-heat the oven to 185c degrees and line a 25cm cake tin with baking paper.
- Beat the sugar and butter in a bowl with electric beaters until smooth and creamy.
- Add the eggs one at a time beating in between each addition.
- Add the schnapps and the milk and beat until combine.
- Add the flour and beat until well combine.
- Pour the mix into the cake tin and bake for 35 minutes or until a skewer inserted in the center comes out clean.
- Place the cake onto a cooling rack until cool.
- Cut the cake into 3 horizontal cakes and using a pastry brush brush on the Kahlua on all 3 layers.
- To make the icing place the cream in the microwave until steaming.
- Add the Kahlua and chocolate to the cream and leave for a minute.
- Stir until the mix is well combine and place in the fridge to set.
- To make the cream filling place the cream in a bowl and using electric beaters whisk until peaks form.
- Add the icing sugar and butterscotch snapps and on a low speak beat until just combine.
- To assemble place one layer on a plate.
- Spread ½ the cream over the top of the cake, Kahlua side up.
- Top with 2nd cake we layer Kahlua side up and spread with remaining cream, top with 3rd cake layer Kahlua side down.
- Spread the ganache over the top and sides of the cake and enjoy.
Like this recipe? Subscribe via RSS or email to get my new entries and more scrumptious recipes with reviews.