Orange and Blueberry Polenta Cupcakes with Lemon Icing
For a variation from the usual cupcake I have incorporating polenta into the mix, while still including self raising flour to allow the cupcakes to rise.
The mix of blueberries, orange and lemon pairing with a hint of almond works a real treat, while the texture of the polenta makes the cupcakes very satisfying.
A welcomed tasty alternative to the usual vanilla or chocolate cupcake that’s for sure!
- 110g instant polenta
- 200g self raising four
- 150g sugar
- ½ tsn baking powder
- 140g butter, softened
- ½ tsn almond essence
- ½ lemon zest
- 1 orange
- 1 egg
- 260g blueberries
- 300g thickened cream
- 1 tsn lemon zest
- 1 tbsn icing sugar
- Pre-heat the oven to 160c degrees and place large cupcake patties in a cupcake tray.
- Place the polenta, flour, sugar, baking powder, butter, zest of a whole orange and zest of half the lemon in a bowl and rub to combine with hands until a dough is formed.
- In a separate bowl place the egg, almond essence and 2 tbsn of orange juice. With a hand whisk combine the wet ingredients then pour into the dry ingredients.
- Beat with the hand whisk to combine.
- Place 45g of batter into each cupcake case.
- Push 10 blueberries into the batter of each cupcake.
- Bake in the oven for 30 minutes of until a skewer in the center comes out clean.
- Remove the cupcakes from the tin and leave aside to cool.
- To make the icing whisk with electric beaters the butter for 5 minutes until creamy.
- Add in the cream, icing sugar and lemon zest and beat until peaks form.
- Using a star nozzle and piping-bag pipe each cupcake with icing.
- Decorate with extra orange zest and a blueberry on the top.
Like this recipe? Subscribe via RSS or email to get my new entries and more scrumptious recipes with reviews.