Lemon Earl Grey Cake with Lavender Orange Blossom Frosting
This would have to be my 4th attempt at baking with Earl Grey and gosh has it turned out. This cake was so tasty that it didn’t venture past my fridge (usually I take my baking to work, friends houses or give to family). But nope, I ate the whole thing it was so good.
Finally an early grey recipe that made me smile.
The cake itself is not super sweet, however works brilliantly with the sweetness and amazing flavour combination of floral lavender and orange blossom.
- 2 tbsn earl grey tea (6 teabags)
- 330g sugar
- 300g self-raising flour
- 2 tsn vanilla essence
- 7 eggs
- 110ml lemon juice
- 150g butter
- 1 tsn cream of tartar
- 200g butter
- 1 + ½ earl grey tea
- 240g icing sugar
- 1 + ½ orange blossom water
- ¾ tsn lavender
- Pre heat the oven to 175c degrees and line a 25cm cake tin wit baking paper.
- Place the contents of 6 teabags into a food processor along with half the sugar (165g) and blitz until well combined.
- With electric beaters whisk the sugar and egg yolks until light and fluffy.
- Add the vanilla and beat until combine.
- Add the lemon juice and melted butter and whisk until combine.
- Place the egg whites into a new bowl and beat with electric beaters until soft peaks form. Add the remaining sugar and cream of tartar and beat until glossy and thick.
- Triple sift the flour and add to the lemon mix. Using a hand whisk softly whisk until combine.
- Add the egg whites in 2 patches, folding until only just combine.
- Pour into the cake tin and bake in the oven for 50 minutes of until a skewer inserted into the center comes out clean.
- Meanwhile make the icing my beating the butter and sugar until light and fluffy.
- Add the contents on 1 + ½ earl grey teabags (1 + ½ tsn), orange blossom and using a mortar and pestle grind some lavender until in powder form.
- Beat until smooth and fluffy.
- Place the cake on a cake rack until cooled.
- Top with the icing and serve.
Like this recipe? Subscribe via RSS or email to get my new entries and more scrumptious recipes with reviews.