Rum Raisin and Chocolate Delight Cake
This cake is not ground breaking with distinctively bizarre textures or flavor combos. However, it has been purposely created to bring to live Cadbury’s Old Jamaican Rum N’ Raisin chocolate block into cake form.
To hero the chocolate I have used Cadbury’s Old Gold dark chocolate, for the Rum a popular Jamaican brand and for the raisins I ensured lots and lots of rum was absorbed in them for little flavor bombs.
- 180g butter
- 300g caster sugar
- 2 tsn vanilla essence
- 3 eggs
- 170g self-raising flour
- 65g plain flour
- 85g cocoa powder
- 1/2 tsn bicarbonate of soda
- 2 tsn instant espresso coffee granules
- 80ml water
- 85ml milk
- 110g raisins
- 140g Jamaican rum
- 80g sugar
- 200g dark chocolate
- 40ml reserved syrup
- 2/3 cup thickened cream
- 1 tsn gelatin
- 65g icing sugar
- 100g dark chocolate
- 100ml thickened cream
- Preheat the oven to 180c degrees and line a 25cm round cake tin with baking paper.
- Using electric beaters beat the butter, sugar and essence for 5 mins or until it is light and fluffy.
- Add in the eggs one at a time and ensure you beat thoroughly between each addition.
- Sift in the flours, cocoa powder and bicarbonate of soda into a bowl, mix.
- Add the coffee granules to the water, then add the milk, stir.
- Add the flour mix and coffee mix into the butter mix and fold until combine.
- Pour the mixture into the prepared tin and bake for 1 hour or until a skewer inserted in the center comes out clean.
- Once cooked leave the cake in the tin for 5 mins, then invert onto a cooling rack to cool.
- Meanwhile make the rum and raisin mix by placing the raisins, rum and sugar into a saucepan and stirring over a simmering heat for 5 minutes.
- Drain raisins (reserving the syrup for later) and chop up the raisins.
- Make the mousse by placing 1/3rd cup cream on a bowl and microwaving for 1 minute or until simmering, remove from the microwave and add the chocolate. Allow to sit for 1 minute then stir until smooth.
- Add 40g of the reserved rum syrup to the chocolate mix, stir then set aside to cool.
- Add the gelatin to the water and stir until well combined with no lumps.
- Beat with electric beaters the remaining cream, gelatin mix and sugar until soft peaks form.
- Add the chocolate mix to the cream mix and beat until combine and peaks form, place in the fridge until required.
- Make the ganache by placing the cream on a bowl and microwaving for 1 minute or until simmering, remove from the microwave and add the chocolate. Allow to sit for 1 minute, stir until silky smooth.
- To assemble the cake cut the cake into 3 layers horizontally.
- Brush the remaining rum syrup over the top of the 3 layers.
- Line the original baking tin with 3 layers of plastic wrap and place the first cake layer in the tin, rum side up.
- Sprinkle half the raisins over the cake layer and top with half of the mousse, followed by the second cake layer rum syrup side up.
- Repeat raisin and mousse layers again and top with the last cake layer rum syrup side down.
- Fold the overhanging plastic wrap over the cake and leave in the fridge for 3 hours to completely set.
- Remove the cake from the tin by pulling up the plastic wrap and placing the cake only a plate.
- Pour over the chocolate ganache and enjoy.
Like this recipe? Subscribe via RSS or email to get my new entries and more scrumptious recipes with reviews.