Spiced Zucchini Orange Cake
I couldn’t pack any more flavours in this cake even if I tried. Not only is this flavour full each flavour complements the other.
To make the cake as moist as possible I have utilized zucchini as this is a great ingredient to add a beautiful cake texture while also making the cake a little healthier than usual.
The cake flavours have come from Indian and Arabic flavour inspirations with the inclusion of beautiful orange, pistachio, cardamom, honey, mixed spice and saffron.
An absolutely addictive cake that’s not too sweet and works amazingly with the cream topping.
- 160g butter
- 200g brown sugar
- 2 eggs
- 2 tsn orange zest
- ½ tsn mixed spice
- 20 saffron threads
- 1 tsn cardamom
- 360g zucchini (grated and slightly squeezed)
- 32og self-rising flour
- 80g pistachio kernels
- 300ml thickened cream
- 1 tsn orange zest
- 15 saffron threads
- 2 + 1/2 tbsn icing sugar
- Preheat the oven to 180c degrees and line a 25cm cake tin with baking paper.
- Place the pistachio kernels into a food processor and blitz until the mix resembles breadcrumbs.
- Cream the butter and sugar with electric beaters until light and fluffy.
- Add the eggs, one at a time beating in between each addition.
- Add the mixed spice, cardamom and saffron. Beat until combine.
- Grate the zucchini and give it a little squeeze to remove the excess liquid.
- Add the flour and the ground pistachios and stir until well combined.
- Pour mix into the cake tin and bake for 50 minutes or until a skewer inserted into the middle of the cake comes out clean.
- Place the cake on a cooling rack.
- Meanwhile to make the topping whip the cream, saffron, zest and sugar in a bowl with electric beaters until peaks form.
- Cut the cake into slices and using a piping bag and star nozzle pipe the cream on the top of the cake.
- Sprinkle with a little cinnamon on top and enjoy!
Like this recipe? Subscribe via RSS or email to get my new entries and more scrumptious recipes with reviews.