Carrot Chocolate and Chai Cake
Chocolate and chai just work wonderfully together. Spices give the carrot a beautiful personality and carrots in chocolate cake produce the most moist and satisfying texture. This being said it makes perfect sense to take these flavours and produce a uniquely flavorsome cake.
One of the challenges I wanted to give myself was to try and pack this cake as full of veggies as possible. I wasn’t aiming for a big carrot flavour, I was more after the nutrients the carrot added to the cake and the texture it created with the grated carrot.
After some experimenting I produced an absolutely lovely cake that has a massive 3 cups of grated carrot! How’s that for a kick start to your veg intake for the day.
As you cannot taste or see the carrot (thanks to the chocolates strong colour and taste), it means you can trick the kids into eating some veg.
- 1 + ½ cup self raising flour
- 45g cocoa powder
- 3 chai teabags
- 870g grated carrot
- 2 eggs
- 150g brown sugar
- 100ml vegetable oil
- 125g dark chocolate, melted
- 250g mascarpone cheese
- 125g dark chocolate
- 300g icing sugar
- Pre heat an oven to 175c degrees and line a 25cm cake tin with baking paper.
- Place the flour, cocoa powder and contents of the tea bags into a food processor and blitz for 1 minute on high.
- Place the carrot into a bowl and stir through the flour mix until all the grated carrot is completely covered.
- Place the sugar, oil and melted dark chocolate into a bowl and beat with a hand whisk until well combined.
- Pour the chocolate mix into the carrot mix and stir until well combine with no lumps.
- Pour the mix into the cake tin and bake for 45 minutes or until a skewer inserted into the middle of the cake comes out clean.
- Place the cake on a cooling rack until cold.
- Meanwhile to make the icing place the cheese, melted chocolate and icing sugar into a food processor and blitz until the mix is smooth and fluffy.
- Spread the icing on the top and sides of the cake.
- I have decorated with carrot praline on top of the cake.
Like this recipe? Subscribe via RSS or email to get my new entries and more scrumptious recipes with reviews.