Kahlua Nutella and Chocolate Cake
It’s been a while since I have baked with alcoholic spirits. As I had party coming up I though now was a good time as any to make a decadent alcoholic cake. It had to be something sweet that would complement typical cake flavors as this cake was for an event and not just for me (not everyone is quick to jump at my unusual baking style 🙂 ).
Decisions, decision. It was down to Frangelico (hazelnut) or Kahlua (coffee). As I have made a Frangelico cake in the past (it’s not on this blog as it just didn’t quite make the cut), I decided Kahlua it is.
What goes with the flavour of coffee? Well chocolate and hazelnut of course!
All I can say for this recipe is decadent, amazingness, flavour explosion and a must to try!
- 125g butter
- 160g brown sugar
- 1 tsn vanilla essence
- 2 eggs
- 330g plain flour
- 4 tsn baking powder
- ½ tsn bi carbonate of soda
- ½ tsn mixed spice
- 2 tsn instant coffee
- 90ml Kahlua, 10ml extra
- 60g butter
- 75g thickened cream
- 225g Nutella
- 75g thickened cream
- 50g icing sugar
- 25g cocoa powder
- Pre-heat the oven to 160c degrees and line a 23cm baking tin with baking paper.
- Using electric beaters beat the butter and sugar for 5 minutes until light and fluffy.
- Add the vanilla and eggs, beating in each addition.
- In another bowl sift the flour, mixed spice, baking powder and soda then add to the butter mix.
- Add the instant coffee to ¼ cup of warm water and whisk until the coffee is dissolved.
- Add 90ml of Kahlua to the coffee mix and pour into the butter mix.
- Mix the ingredients with a spoon then whisk with electric beaters until just combine.
- Spoon the mix into the cake tin and bake in the oven for 40-45 minutes or until a skewer inserted in the center comes out clean.
- Allow the cake to cool in the tin for 5 minutes than place on a cooling rack until the cake is cold.
- To make the Nutella frosting beat the cream until soft peaks.
- Whip the butter for 2 minutes until creamy.
- Add the nutella and cream to the butter and beat with electric beaters for 1 minute. Place the frosting in the fridge.
- To make the chocolate frosting beat the cream until soft peaks, sift in the cocoa and icing sugar and beat for a further 30 seconds until combine. Set mix aside.
- Once the cake is cooled cut in half horizontally and brush both cut sides with the extra 10ml of Kahlua.
- Place the bottom cake layer on a plate, spread with the chocolate frosting.
- Place the second cake on top of the chocolate frosting then spread the Nutella frosting over the top of the cake and sides.
- Decorate with hazelnuts and shaved chocolate.
Like this recipe? Subscribe via RSS or email to get my new entries and more scrumptious recipes with reviews.