Chocolate Avocado Peppermint Slice
You may notice that I bake every few months with avocado as an ingredient, where it’s not generally the hero ingredient but a substitute for naughty ingredients (think butter, oil, thickener etc). This is mind, I decided that I would make a common flavour pairing slice (peppermint and chocolate) and turn this into a less guilty version.
If I added in avocado and used cocoa powder instead of adding in chocolate I could cut out primary refined processed elements and make the recipe more wholesome-friendly.
Of course it did take quite a few tweaks along the way to get to this final recipe but I am actually really happy with this one. It’s super simple, doesn’t need to be cooked, not too sweet but still tasty and does the 3pm treat trick.
How I see this recipe – think mint slice biscuits but a much nutritious version.
- 120g flour
- 45g cocoa powder
- 75g brown sugar
- 90g butter
- 280g avocado (2 avocado equivalent)
- 100g butter
- 100g brown sugar
- ¾ tsn peppermint oil (1 tsn if using essence)
- 60g cocoa powder
- 60g butter
- 85g sugar
- Pre-heat the oven to 180c degrees and line a 20x20cm cake tin with baking paper.
- Place all the base ingredients into a food processor and blitz until the texture resembles fine crumbs.
- Spoon mix into the prepared cake tin and flatten with finger tips.
- Bake in the oven for 15-18 minutes until cooked then set aside to cool.
- Place all the filling ingredients into the food processor and blitz until smooth and creamy.
- Spoon the mix over the chocolate base, smooth with the back on a spoon and place into the freezer for 20 minutes.
- To make the topping place all 3 ingredients into a saucepan on a medium heat on the stove and stir until the mix boils and the sugar has melted. You should have a glossy consistency.
- Allow mix to cool slightly then pour over the avocado filling. Using the back of a spoon spread and smooth for a flat top.
- Place in the freezer for 20 minutes, cut with a hot knife and enjoy.
Like this recipe? Subscribe via RSS or email to get my new entries and more scrumptious recipes with reviews.