Coconut Lime Avocado Ice-Cream Sandwich Cake
You would have noticed I do tend to opt towards chocolate for mouse or tart filings if you frequent my website often. For something a little different I wanted to trial Avocado in this context. Similar to banana, when avocado is frozen and blitzed it resembles a very similar texture to ice-cream. Therefore I decided I would make an avocado ice-cream but also incorporate complementary flavors. Thus the lime and coconut, which work very well with the avo as well as being best buddies in flavor profiles as they are.
To take the ice-cream to the next level I decided to make a thin sponge cake to sandwich the ice-cream in.
This is where I came up with the idea of making a lime and coconut sheet cake.
After a few tweaks I ended up with the below recipe that is quite moreish and a great alternative to a high saturated fat cake.
- 4 eggwhites
- 160g sugar
- 1 + ½ tsn coconut essence
- 180g flour
- 2 tsn lime zest
- 2 avocados (300g)
- 1 tbsn lime juice
- 240g sweetened condensed milk
- 90g coconut milk
- 1 tsn coconut essence
- Pre-heat the oven to 180c degrees and line a 30 x 30cm cake tin with baking paper.
- Place all the cake ingredients in a bowl and using electric beaters whisk for 60 seconds on a low speed.
- Pour the mix into the tin and Bake for 10 minutes.
- Invert onto a cooling rack and leady aside until cooled.
- Meanwhile make the ice-cream but placing all ingredients into a food processor and blitz until the mix is creamy and smooth. Place in the freezer for 30 mins to slightly harden.
- Line a 10cm x 15cm cake tin with plastic wrap and cut the cake into 2 10cm x 15cm pieces.
- Trim the first cake piece to fit snug into the base of the cake tin and place in.
- Spoon the ice-cream mix ontop of the cake layer.
- Push down the second cake layer to secure and wrap the overlapping plastic wrap over the cake tightly.Place in the freezer to set for 3 hours.
- Remove the cake from the tin by pulling the plastic wrap and inverting the cake onto a plate.
- Top with some dusted icing sugar and serve.
- Step 3
- Step 4
- Step 5
- Step 7
- Step 9
- Step 11
Like this recipe? Please subscribe via RSS or email to get my new entries and more scrumptious recipes with reviews.