Strawberry Nesquik and Lime Daiquiri Sponge Cake
I was a little short on ideas one weekend and started researching some cocktail’s to attain some flavor combo inspiration. I liked the idea of a strawberry daiquiri, which hero’s strawberry, rum and lime. I figured that I could make a sponge cake but with a big twist. Instead of jam I made a lime curd and instead of plain cream I spiked it with white rum.
To achieve the strawberry flavor I used strawberry essence and replaced the sugar with strawberry Nesquik (I have been experimenting with Nesquik for a while now and prior this recipe had not come up with a successful recipe).
This cakes outcome was a success (though doesn’t exactly taste like a daiquiri), but the most successful part is the addictive lime curd!
- 2 tsn flour
- ½ tsn bi carb of soda
- 1 tsn cream of tartar
- 130g corn flour
- 4 eggs
- 175g Strawberry Nesquik
- 1 + 1/2 tsn strawberry essence
- 300ml thickened cream
- 4 tbsn icing sugar
- 1 + ½ tbsn white rum
- 2 egg yolks
- 2 eggs
- 14og sugar
- 80ml lime juice
- 100g butter
- 20ml thickened cream
- 30g white chocolate
- 1 tbsn strawberry Nesquik
- 2 tsn Strawberry essence
- Preheat the oven to 190c degrees and line a 30 x 20cm cake tin with baking paper.
- Place the flour, bi carbonate or soda, cream of tartar, corn flour and powder into a bowl and sift 3 times.
- Place the eggs and Nesquik in a bowl and using electric beaters whisk for 10 minutes on a high speed.
- Add the essence and beat for 1 more minute.
- Turn the beaters on low and add the flour mix and beat for 1 minute.
- Spoon the mix evenly into the 3 cake tins and bake for 20 minutes or until the sponge springs back when touched.
- Remove the tins from the oven and leave for 10 minutes in the tins.
- Turn the cakes onto a cooling rack and leave until cold.
- To make the filling whisk the cream and icing sugar with electric beaters until peaks form.
- Whisk in the rum until just combine.
- To make the curd whisk all ingredients in a saucepan on a low heat until the mix is smooth.
- Turn the heat to medium and whisk for 10 minutes or until the mix becomes thick.
- Leave aside to cool completely.
- To assemble spoon the curd evenly on the top of 2 cakes.
- Spoon the cream evenly on the top of the curd.
- Place one of the filled cake layers onto of the other and top the cake off with the plain cake layer.
- To make the ganache place the cream in the microwave until boiling.
- Add the chocolate, Nesquik and essence to the cream and leave for 1 minute.
- Stir until glossy and thick.
- Drizzle the chocolate ganache over the top of the cake and serve.
Like this recipe? Subscribe via RSS or email to get my new entries and more scrumptious recipes with reviews.