This recipe spiked my interest as I don’t really cook a lot with sweet potato. Standard potato and pumpkin yes, but this veggie not so much.
In addition to sweet potato, the combo in this recipe of dark chocolate seemed like an interesting fusion of flavours.
The outcome of these brownies was quite surprising.
Though a whole cup of mashed potato is used in this recipe the favour of chocolate and hazelnut is so strong that you don’t even realise that this ingredient is present. This actually is not a bad thing as chocolate and hazelnut as we know are a match made in heaven. The potato makes the brownie extremely dense and moist, while also cutting out the large quantity of butter, chocolate and sugar that makes a normal choc brownie. This then makes the recipe a much more healthy version.
There is only a small quantity of flour in this recipe therefore I actually used gluten free plain flour to make the recipe gluten free (the baking powder is also GF).
This recipe is very simple, quick and very tasty.
- 1/3 cup butter
- 1 + 1/3 cup dark chocolate chips
- 1 cup mashed and baked sweet potato
- 1 cup brown sugar
- 2 eggs
- 2 tsn vanilla essence
- 3/4 cup plain flour
- 1/4 tsn baking powder
- 100g raw hazelnuts chopped finely.
- Preheat your oven to 180c and line a square baking tray with baking paper.
- Place the butter and 1 cup of the chocolate into a microwave safe bowl and microwave on medium until melted. Stir with a metal spoon until the ingredients have melted.
- In another bowl mix the potato and sugar unit combined. Following add the chocolate mix, eggs and vanilla. Beat until smooth and thick.
- Stir in remaining ingredients.
- Pour into the tin and bake for 30 minutes or until firm to touch.
- Cool in tin, cut and serve.
A few tips include:
- You can use hazelnut meal instead of chopped hazelnuts for a more smoother texture.
- In addition, if you don’t want any ‘crunch’ at all melt all the chocolate not just one cup at the beginning.
Like this recipe? Subscribe via RSS or email to get my new entries and more scrumptious recipes with reviews.
Love the sound of this combination, will definitely give it a go!
Thanks Jennifer. Let me know your feedback on this recipe 🙂 hopefully you think it is as delicious as I do.