Lemon Cranberry and White Chocolate Babka
Apart from a little inclusion in my Quinoa Berry Christmas cake recipe I haven’t experimented with cranberries. After my eye catching them in the shop the other day I decided to purchase some and come up with a recipe. For something different I decided I wanted to make a bread with the cranberries.
As cranberries are so sweet I paired this flavour with the zesty taste of lemon and added in white chocolate to produce a marbled flavour effect throughout the bread.
Making the ‘Babka’ bread came about as a fourth attempted in this baking session as the original recipe experiment of a sponge roll log cake was not a success at all. The experiment aim was to make a sweet treat that allowed me to produce a spiral effect and a babka dough would allow for exactly this. Babka is bread that a) is rolled up and b) involves platting the dough together to intensify flavour bursts.
I actually had quite a few versions of this where 2 were serious standouts, this Lemon Cranberry and White Chocolate Babka being one of these.
- 210g flour
- 25g sugar
- 4g yeast
- 1 egg
- 85g warm water
- 35g butter, at room temperature
- 80g cranberries
- 100g white chocolate
- 40g butter
- 30g icing sugar
- 3 tsn lemon zest
- Place the flour, sugar and yeast in a bowl and mix until combine.
- Whisk the egg and add to the mix with luke warm water.
- Using a wooden spoon stir until the mix is combining and resembles a dough.
- Flour the bench and place the dough on the flour. Kneed for 5 minutes of until the dough is elastic and smooth.
- Place the mix in an oiled bowl and using hands massage the butter into the dough until it is combine and glossy.
- Place a towel or plastic wrap over the bowl and leave in a warm place for 2 hours or until the dough triples in size.
- Dice up the cranberries.
- To make the filling place the butter in a bowl and heat until boiling in the microware.
- Add the white chocolate and allow to sit for 1 minute. Stir the white chocolate until the mix is smooth.
- Punch down the dough and knead until smooth.
- Add the icing sugar to the chocolate mix, lemon zest and the cranberries.
- Roll the dough out to 40cm x 20cm shape with a rolling pin.
- Spread the filling over the dough evenly.
- On one of the short ends brush water with a pastry brush.
- Roll up the dough from the small end with no water and finish at the water end (the water will seal the roll).
- Place the dough onto the baking tray, cut a slit down the middle longways, almost to the top of the roll.
- Plat the 2 halves by crossing them over each other, place the towel or plastic wrap back on top of the bread and leave for 45 minutes.
- Pre-heat the oven to 190c degrees and place the bread in the oven for 25 minutes or until the bread is golden brown.
- Cut into slices and serve with a spread of butter, delish!
Like this recipe? Subscribe via RSS or email to get my new entries and more scrumptious recipes with reviews.