Watermelon Rose and Strawberry Cupcakes
Watermelon would have to be one of my favorite fruits, just ahead of cherries and strawberries. To compliment the watermelon flavour I opted for a pairing with strawberries and to top off the floral delicate flavours the addition of rosewater.
As I have made a cake with watermelon previously (see my Couscous Strawberry and Watermelon Cake) I decided to make cupcakes this time with my never fail amazing cupcake recipe as a base.
Outcome, a rich, moist, melt in your mouth cupcake that is packed with flavour in every bite!
- 220g cake flour
- 1 tsn baking powder
- ½ tsn soda
- 1/8 tsn salt
- 2 eggs
- 200g sugar
- 1 tsn strawberry essence
- 1 tsn rosewater essence
- 120ml butter
- 160g strawberry jam
- 80ml buttermilk
- 120ml watermelon reduction (1.2kg watermelon flesh required for recipe inc. icing)
- 60g watermelon reduction
- 60g butter
- ½ tsn strawberry essence
- 200g icing sugar
- Pre-heat the oven to 175c degrees and line a 16-space cupcake tin with patty cases.
- Spray the cases slightly with oil spray.
- Cut watermelon and place 1.2kg of flesh into a food processor. Blitz until liquefied.
- Pour the mix into a large saucepan and simmer on medium until the liquid reduces down to 200ml.
- Pass the reduction through a sieve to catch the seeds and unwanted flesh, set aside.
- In a small bowl sieve the flour, powder, soda and salt. Repeat 2 more times.
- In another bowl beat the eggs until light and fluffy with electric beaters for 2 minutes.
- Slowly add the sugar while beating.
- Add the essence and beat to combine.
- Add the butter slightly melted as well as the jam and beat.
- Place 120ml of the watermelon reduction and the buttermilk in a bowl and stir to combine.
- Add half the reduction buttermilk mix to the batter and beat until combine. Add half the flour mix and beat. Repeat with remaining buttermilk mix and flour mix until well combine.
- Pour the batter into the patty cases to ¾ full and place in the oven for 15 minutes of until a skewer inserted into the middle comes out clean.
- Meanwhile make the icing by placing 50g of the remaining watermelon reduction, butter, strawberry essence and icing in a bowl and beat with electric beaters until light and fluffy.
- Once the cupcakes have cooked leave on a cooling rack.
- When the cupcakes are at room temperature place the icing in a piping bag with a star nozzle, pipe and enjoy.
Like this recipe? Subscribe via RSS or email to get my new entries and more scrumptious recipes with reviews.