Dried Date Fig and Honey Bread
After having some dried figs left over from my Fig and Grape Syrup cake and dates from my Date Spiced Syrup Doughnuts I decided to come up with a recipe that would utilize these two ingredients.
After doing quite a bit of baking with dried fruit in cakes, puddings and pies recently I wanted to step away and bake with dried fruit in a different way.
I have also been baking a lot with dough in the past few weeks and though not an expert I felt I had the confidence to take on bread making.
My favorite bread is raisin toast so I thought I would put my spin on fruit bread and make a gourmet fig and date version.
This bread warmed, with a spread of butter is pure magic tasting!
- 400g white bread flour
- ½ tsn yeast
- 2 tbsn honey
- 100g dried figs
- 100g dried dates
- 1 tsn salt
- ½ tsn cinnamon
- 20g almonds
- 1 tbsn olive oil
- Pinch of ground ginger
- Preheat the oven to 200c degrees and line a baking tray with oiled baking paper.
- Dice up the dates, figs and almonds.
- Mix the flour, yeast, honey, salt, cinnamon, almonds, dried dates and figs in a bowl.
- Place the olive oil and 280ml warm water in a separate bowl.
- Mix the water in the dry ingredient bowl and once combine knead for 10 minutes until smooth and elastic.
- Oil the bowl and place the dough back in the bowl, covering with cling wrap to prove for 1-2 hours or until the dough doubles in size.
- Push-back the dough by kneading for 2 minutes, shape into a load shape and allow to prove again for 1 hour on the tray covered with cling wrap.
- Once proved slash a cross on the top of the loaf and dust with a pinch of flour and ground ginger.
- Bake in the oven for 40 minutes.
- Allow to cool then slice and spread with butter, enjoy!
Like this recipe? Subscribe via RSS or email to get my new entries and more scrumptious recipes with reviews.