Ricotta Doughnuts with Orange Syrup
There are so many varying doughnut recipes that exist, with different methods and flavor combinations, to be honest the list is endless.
However after come recent doughnut making experimenting I made one doughnut in which I think is the most fluffy and soft doughnut I have ever eaten.
The secret? All I did was made a very simple and quick batter that was made predominately of ricotta cheese.
The cheese created the fluffy melt in your mouth texture that is easy to shape and crisps up like a perfect doughnut.
The zest in the batter provides a lovely citrus flavor without overpowering, while the syrup adds extra punch to the doughnuts flavors that delivers sweet luscious excellence.
- 270g ricotta
- 2 eggs
- 20ml milk
- 50g sugar
- 1 + 1/4 orange’s zest
- 1 tsn lemon zest
- 50g flour
- 2 tbsn baking powder
- 60g sugar
- 40ml water
- 100ml orange juice
- 1 tbsn honey
- Vegetable oil to fry
- Sugar to dust
- Place the ricotta, eggs, milk, sugar and zests into a bowl and using a hand whisk beat until smooth.
- Add in the flour and baking powder and beat until just combine.
- Fill a saucepan with vegetable oil and place a small amount of batter into the oil on a high heat.
- Once the batter starts to fry remove and turn down the temperature to medium.
- Using 2 tablespoons scoop up the batter and shape into a ball, following with dropping into the oil.
- Allow to fry for 2 minutes or until the doughnut is golden brown, turn the doughnut and allow to cook for a few more second and then transfer onto a plate lined with absorbent paper towel.
- Repeat until all batter has gone.
- Place the doughnuts into a bowl and sprinkle with the extra sugar, top with a plate and shake the bowl to allow for full sugar coverage.
- Transfer onto a clean plate.
- Make the syrup by placing all the ingredients into a saucepan on a high heat and stir until sugar is dissolved.
- Turn heat to medium and stir until the mix resembles a syrup consistency, place into a clean jug.
- Serve doughnuts with vanilla ice cream, drizzle doughnut with the syrup and enjoy.
Like this recipe? Subscribe via RSS or email to get my new entries and more scrumptious recipes with reviews