Jam Doughnut Cupcakes
I have made jam doughnuts before, both fried and baked, and though they have turned out delicious they are quite a bit of work…proving…pushing back…rising…hours of waiting…
I wanted to make something that was easy quick and tastiest as close to a jam doughnut as possible.
My solution to this? Hello jam doughnut cupcake. This sweet treat is a mix between doughnut batter and cupcake batter with the traditional jam in the center.
Yes these are baked therefore the texture is different to a usual doughnut but I have kept the butter and sugar cinnamon element alive.
Lastly, true to a cupcake mandatory I have made a jam frosting for extra creaminess and jam emphasis.
- 310g self raising flour
- 70g plain flour
- 180g sugar, plus 2 tbsn extra
- 110ml cooking oil
- 2 eggs
- 240ml milk
- 1 tsn vanilla essence
- 150g raspberry jam
- 60g butter, plus 40g extra
- 70g raspberry jam
- 120g icing sugar
- 1 tsn cinnamon
- Pre-heat the oven to 200c degrees and line 18 medium cupcake patties into a medium sized cupcake tin.
- Sift the flours and sugar into a bowl and make a well in the center.
- In a separate bowl place the oil, eggs, milk and vanilla. Whisk with a hand whisk until well combined.
- Pour the oil mix into the flour mix and beat with the hand whisk until well combined.
- Spoon half the batter into the 18 cupcake patty cases.
- Spoon the 70g of jam evenly into the middle of the cupcake patties on top of the batter.
- Spoon the remaining batter on top of the jam, covering the jam completely.
- Bake the cupcakes in the oven for 15-18 minutes or until a skewer inserted into the middle comes out clean (being mindful of the jam in which should still be of jam consistency).
- Place cupcakes onto a cooling rack until cold.
- Use a pastry brush to brush the cupcake tops with the 50g of melted butter.
- Sprinkle the 2 tbsn of sugar and the 1 tsn of cinnamon into a bowl and stir.
- Place the cupcake top side down onto the cinnamon sugar bowl and push to coat the top of the cupcake well.
- Place the icing ingredients into a bowl and using electric beaters beat until light and fluffy.
- Using a piping bag fitted with a star nozzle pipe the icing onto the cupcakes.
Like this recipe? Subscribe via RSS or email to get my new entries and more scrumptious recipes with reviews.