Red Wine Chocolate Cake
My last post featured the Chocolate Zucchini cake, which I would say was one of the most dense cakes I have ever made, however this cake I am about to introduce you to would be one of a few that is an exception.
Recently I have been drinking red wine a lot more than I usually do (I’m not really a wine or beer drinker, more a spirit with mixers). Based on this new palate I seem to have I thought it could be fun to experiment with red wine in a cake (many cakes have liqueur’s so this isn’t that different..is it)?
From my posts thus far you can start to get the notion that I am a MASSIVE chocolate fan, where again this cake demonstrates this. I promise the next posts will be chocolate free for a bit of a change 🙂
For this Red Wine Chocolate Cake you will need:
- 1 + ¾ cups plain flour
- ¾ cocoa powder
- 2 tsn bicarbonate of soda
- 1 tsn baking powder
- 1 + ½ cups white sugar
- 2 eggs
- 1 cup milk
- 1 cup + 20ml red wine
- ½ cup butter
- 1 tsn vanilla essence
- Preheat oven to 180c and line a 25cm spring form cake tin with baking paper.
- Add all the dry ingredients into a bowl via a sieve and stir to combine.
- Then add all the wet ingredients and beat with an electric beater on medium for 2 minutes until the batter is smooth.
- Pour batter into the cake tin and bake for 40 minutes or until the skewer comes out clean.
- Cool the cake for 5 minutes in the tin then transfer to a wire cooling rack.
- This cake is awesome and the red wine is not over powering at all.
- If you want to make cupcakes instead pour batter into cupcake patties and cook for 15 minutes.
- I decorated my cake with chocolate cream cheese frosting that had red wine also incorporated into it.
Like this recipe? I recommend you also check out my Chocolate Zucchini Cake. Additionally please do subscribe via RSS or email to get my new entries and more scrumptious recipes with reviews.