Weet-Bix Anzac Slice with Peanut Banana Frosting
You may have noticed that baking with cereal tends to feature on my blog every few months, where oats, rice bubbles even quinoa flakes tend to be my favourite grains/ingredients.
I decided that I wanted to branch out and challenge myself in this space by baking with cereals that I very rarely (if at all) eat myself.
Not only would I incorporate the cereal in the recipe, I would feature it as the core ingredient in the bakes foundation.
Sooo…I went shopping, pursuing the cereal isle and landed on milo cereal, nutri-grain and weet-bix. 3 very Aussie themed products.
To stay in the ‘Aussie’ territory I decided that using an Aussie flavour combo would be fitting for the experiments, so I mimicked the based flavour combo of Anzac biscuits and created 3 cereal slices.
After making the 3 slice unsurprisingly it was the weet-bix one that was best not just because the texture of crumbled weet-bix worked well in the bake but also as the flavour worked great with the golden syrup, brown sugar and coconut (let’s just say the other 2 weren’t great in either of these areas).
The slice did desperately need an icing though, as it was quite dense and although tasty was missing that wow factor, thus a delicious icing would offset and complement the slice perfectly. A few experimental icings later and I had the perfect icing that perked up the slice and gave it a bit more bunch.
What I decided on? Initially I experimented with peanut butter and then banana as they worked well with the slice flavours so I made up an icing for each, in which I like both and felt they both worked so I combine them together and walla the Weet-Bix Anzac Slice with Peanut and Banana Frosting was born.
- 250g butter
- 300g brown sugar
- 100ml golden syrup
- 140g plain flour
- 160g self raising flour
- 70g desiccated coconut, toasted
- 8 Weet-Bix (140g)
- 2 eggs
- 150g butter
- 35g icing sugar
- 40g peanut butter
- 45g banana flesh
- Pre heat the oven to 180c degrees and line a 20cm x 20cm cake tin with baking paper.
- Place the butter, sugar and golden syrup into a saucepan and stir on a medium heat until the mix is well combine and boils. Leave aside for 5 minutes to cool.
- Add the coconut into a bowl as well as the sifted flours.
- Using your hands crush the Weet-Bix into small pieces and stir into the flour mix.
- Pour the cooled butter mix into the flour mix and stir until combine.
- Beat the eggs in a small bowl with a fork and pour egg mix into the flour mix.
- Stir the mix until the egg is well combine then pour the batter into the prepared cake tin.
- Flatten the top of the slice with the back of a spoon and place the cake tin in the oven for 20 minutes or until a skewer inserted into the center just comes out only just clean.
- Place the slice on a cooling rack until cold.
- Meanwhile make the icing by whisking the butter and icing sugar for 5 minutes or until fluffy and pale.
- Place the banana in a food processor and blitz until pureed.
- Add the pureed banana and peanut butter to the butter mix and whisk with electric beaters until well combine.
- Top the slice with the icing and cut into pieces. Enjoy!
- Step 2
- Step 2
- Step 3
- Step 5
- Step 9
- Step 12
- Step 13
Like this recipe? Subscribe via RSS or email to get my new entries and more scrumptious recipes with reviews.