This recipe was inspired by a work colleague who suggested it would be interesting to replicate the flavours of a chai latte in my baking.
After playing around with a few ways of doing this (teabags, powder, a mix of Indian spices) I came up with the most amazing tasting, easy to make and all round satisfying Chai Latte Cake.
Outside on my Lemon Meringue Cheesecake, I have never received so much positive feedback from a cake I have made.
If you want to impress, this cake delivers – 100% guaranteed.
Chai Latte Cake
- 3/4 cup butter
- 3/4 cup sugar
- 150g instant chai powder
- ¼ tsn cardamom
- 3 eggs
- 3/4 cup milk
- 2 tsp vanilla essence
- 205g plain flour
- 2 + ¾ tsn baking powder
- 1/3 tsn bi carbonate of soda
- ¼ tsn salt
- 135g butter
- 1 tsn of vanilla essence
- 165g icing sugar
- 25g instant chai powder
- 1 tbsn milk
- Preheat the oven to 175 and line a 30cm cake tin with baking paper.
- Cream the butter and sugar in an electric mixer for 3 minutes.
- Add the chai powder and Cardamom to the sugar mix and beat until combined.
- Beat in the eggs one at a time, the milk, then the vanilla.
- In a separate bowl mix the flour, baking powder, bicarbonate of soda and the salt until combined.
- Slowly add the dry mix to the wet mixture a little at a time, beating in between until a thick creamy batter is formed.
- Place the batter in the cake tin, using a spoon to flatten the top and bake for 40 minutes or until the cake is cooked through when you test it with a skewer.
- While the cake is cooling you can make the frosting by beating the sugar and butter until light and fluffy.
- Add the icing sugar, chai pwdrer and milk to the butter mix with electric beaters and beat for 5 minutes until creamy and thick.
- Once the cake is cooled spread the frosting over the cake and enjoy.
- You can turn this mix into cupcakes by filling the patties ¾ full and baking for 20 minutes or until a skewer inserted in the center comes out clean.
Like this recipe? Subscribe via RSS or email to get my new entries and more scrumptious recipes with reviews.