Low Fat Dark Chocolate Balsamic and Almond Cupcakes
Low fat, sound too good to be true? I’d say less than 6g of butter per cupcake is pretty damn good! How does this treat still tastes amazing with such little butter content? A little trick, replacing 60% of the butter with apple puree as I promise no one will even notice!
How chocolate, balsamic and almonds was invented? So balsamic vinegar works brilliantly with strawberries as it brings out the sweetness and intensifies the flavor profile. So I figured if I used the balsamic with the dark chocolate it would have a similar effect and I was right
Additionally, the almond provides a lovely complementary texture and satisfying crunch to the recipe.
This recipe is a lovely twist on the usual chocolate cupcake and you can eat with a clear conscious!
- 200g flour
- 50g cocoa powder
- 4 tsn baking powder
- 80g sugar
- 160g 70% dark chocolate
- 80g roasted almonds
- 70g butter
- 100g apple puree
- 2 eggs
- 140ml milk
- 2 + 1/2 tbsn Balsamic vinegar
- 300g icing sugar
- 25g cocoa powder
- 70g balsamic vinegar
- Pre-heat the oven to 200c degrees and line a 12 hole cupcake tin with patty cases.
- Sieve the flour, baking powder, cocoa powder and sugar in a bowl and stir to combine.
- Chop the chocolate and almonds into really small pieces and place into the flour mix, stir.
- Melt the butter in a bowl in the microwave and add the milk, puree, vinegar and eggs. Whisk with a hand whisk until well combined.
- Pour the milk mix into the flour mix and using a hand whisk beat until just combine.
- Pour the batter into the patty cases and bake in the oven for 20 minutes or until and skewer in the center comes out clean.
- Place the cupcakes onto a cooling rack until cool.
- Meanwhile to make the icing beat the ingredients until well combined.
- Using a spatula spread the icing over the cupcake evenly.
- Grate extra chocolate and dice almonds over the icing.
- Step 3
- Step 6
- Step 7
Like this recipe? Subscribe via RSS or email to get my new entries and more scrumptious recipes with reviews.