Banana Berry Lemon Ice-Cream Sandwich
In summer one of my favorite ways to cool down at home is by blitzing frozen berries, bananas and yoghurt to make an ‘ice-cream’ that is made of healthy ingredients as well as being delicious.
One day I decided that I wanted to take this fruit and yoghurt ‘ice-cream’ to the next level and turn it into an ice-cream biscuit sandwich.
For a lift in flavor I added in further complimentary ingredients and played around with different taste combinations until I landed on a combo that is absolutely super moreish and delicious.
To turn this ice-cream into a sandwich I relied on my never fail melting moments biscuit recipe that I tweaked to boost the lemon and berry flavor of the ice-cream. The outcome, so addictive!
- 500g bananas (260g peeled)
- 240g frozen raspberries
- 100g honey
- 1 vanilla pod
- 1 tsn strawberry essence
- 180g butter
- ¼ tsn lemon zest
- ¼ tsn strawberry essence
- 60g custard powder
- 60g icing sugar
- 160g plain flour
- 1 tsn baking powder
- Pinch salt
- Make the ice-cream by placing all the ingredients into a food processor and blitzing on high until the mix is completely smooth.
- Line a slice pan (lamington pan for best results) with plastic wrap, allowing for overlap.
- Pour the ice-cream mix in the slice pan and place the pan into the freezer to set for at least 4 hours.
- Meanwhile, pre-heat the oven to 180c degrees and line 2 large baking trays with baking paper.
- Place the butter in a bowl and using electric beaters whisk for 3 minutes or until the butter is light and fluffy.
- Add the lemon zest, essence, custard powder and sugar and whisk until well combined.
- Add the flour, baking powder and salt to the butter mix and whisk until just combined.
- Roll the mix into balls of 30g each and place on the trays (8 balls on each tray).
- Place a cookie cutter around the balls on the trays and using the back of a spoon press down to the sides of the cookie cutter.
- Remove the cookie cutter and repeat with all 16 balls ensuring 5cm between each biscuit.
- Place the trays into the oven for 16 minutes or until lightly golden.
- Leave biscuits to cool on the trays for a few minutes then transfer onto a cooling rack until cold.
- Once the biscuits are cold place in the freezer for later use.
- To assemble, pull up the plastic wrap from the slice pan and place on the bench plastic wrap side down.
- Dip the cookie cutter into hot water and cut out an ice-cream circle.
- Place a biscuit on the bench, top with the ice-cream circle and finish with a second biscuit on top of the ice-cream circle, place completed ice-cream sandwich onto a plate.
- Repeat with the remaining ice-cream and biscuits until 8 ice-cream sandwiches are make.
- Place the plate into the freezer and freeze for at least 1 hour.
- To serve I topped the sandwiches with melted white chocolate and a small piping of royal icing. A dust of icing sugar will be just an nice.
Note: these sandwiches will melt if left out for a long period of time so take them out of the freezer when your ready for dessert.
Like this recipe? Subscribe via RSS or email to get my new entries and more scrumptious recipes with reviews