Spiced Bourbon Marshmallow Slice
So I know that bourbon and chocolate go together very well (hello my Bourbon Chocolate Cake with Peanut Bourbon Icing recipe), however I wanted to use up some bourbon by making something different. Chocolate goes with most things as flavour parings tend to enhance and put a spin on the cocoa/cacoa taste. What I wanted to do was make a bourbon recipe that enhanced the bourbon flavour. On top of this as we know I do have a sweet tooth and bourbon is not sweet so I had to somehow also make it super appealing and absolutely tasty for by palate.
My solution to this was to play around with a variation of spices, mixing and matching until I found a set that went extremely well together, had similar flavour properties and also brought out the sweetness in the bourbon.
Sound impossible? See the below recipe and become a lover of bourbon!
- ½ cup self raising flour
- ½ cup plain flour
- ¾ cup brown sugar
- ¼ tsn nutmeg
- 1/8 tsn ground ginger
- 1 + ½ ground cinnamon
- 1 + ½ mixed spice
- 100g butter
- 1 egg
- 1 tsn vanilla essence
- 1 tbsn gelatine powder
- 140g sugar
- 180ml cup water
- 4 tsn bourbon
- Pre-heat the oven to 180c degrees and line a 20cm x 30cm cake tin with baking paper.
- Place the flours, sugar and spices into a bowl and mix.
- Melt the butter in a bowl and add the vanilla essence.
- Stir the egg into the flour mix, add the butter mix and stir until well combine.
- Place the mix into the cake tin and flatten with fingers.
- Bake in the oven for 20 minutes then set aside to cool.
- Make the marshmallow mix by placing the gelatine into half the water and stir to combine the mix.
- Place the remaining water, sugar and bourbon into a bowl and whisk with electric beaters for 4 minutes.
- Place the gelatine mix in the microwave until warm and syrupy in texture.
- Slowly pour the gelatine in a consistent stream while the beaters are on high.
- Continue beating for a further 8 minutes or until the mix is light and fluffy.
- Pour the mix over the cooled slice base and place in the fridge for 2 hours to set completely.
- Cut and enjoy.
Like this recipe? Subscribe via RSS or email to get my new entries and more scrumptious recipes with reviews.