Rum Coconut and Raspberry cake
- Turning the cocktail ‘raspberry mojito’ into a decadent cake, this recipe clearly derived from another night out’s inspiration.
The taste and contents of this cake is exactly that, white rum, raspberry jam and lots and lots of coconut (4 types in fact).
A pretty simple and straight forward coconut cake spiked with rum and sweetened with raspberry it’s no surprise this cake hits the spot for coconut fans.
- 40g desiccated coconut
- 210ml coconut milk
- 130ml rum
- 190g butter
- 235g sugar
- 1 +1/2 tsn coconut essence
- 2 eggs
- 280g self rasing flour
- 250g raspberry jam
- 250ml cream
- 25g icing sugar
- 100g flaked coconut
- Pre-heat the oven to 160c degrees and line 2 x 25cm cake tins with baking paper.
- Place the coconut, milk and rum in a bowl, stir and leave aside for 1 hour.
- With electric beaters beat the butter and sugar until the mix is light and fluffy.
- Add the essence and beat for 1 minute.
- Add the eggs one at a time, beating in between each addition.
- Sift in the flour and add the rum mix, stir well.
- Using a spatula lightly mix the rum mix into the egg mix until well combined.
- Pour into the cake tins evenly and bake for 1 hour or until a skewer inserted into the center of the cakes comes out clean.
- Leave the cakes aside to cool on a cooling rack until cold.
- Cut the cakes both into 2 even layers horizontally.
- Whip the cream and the icing sugar with electric beaters until peaks form.
- Place one cake layer on a plate spread 1/2 of the jam, add the second layer, spread with 1/3rd cream mix, add a third layer and spread the remaining jam.
- Top with the last layer and spread the remaining cream on the top and sides of the cake evenly.
- Coat with the extra flaked coconut on the sides and top of the cake and enjoy.
Like this recipe? Subscribe via RSS or email to get my new entries and more scrumptious recipes with reviews.