Raspberry Layered Apple Yoghurt Cake
Ok so the flavor pairings for this cake is not ground breaking. Raspberry, apple and vanilla has no real ‘wow interesting twist factor’.
How this cake made it to my website….? Due to it being absolutely delectably delicious, as well as the unusual way the cake is constructed. The main feature of this cake is not the flavor pairings but the layers of batter and apple that structure the cake. Every bite has an ever-so-tasty yoghurt based cake with the twist of sliced apple layered texture.
This cake is a must with a cup of tea, in fact I dare you to find another cake that satisfies your cake craving more when paired with a cup of tea at 3pm!
- 125g butter
- 180g sugar + 1 tbsn extra
- 1 tsn vanilla essence
- 4 eggs
- 90g raspberry yoghurt
- 170g self-raising flour
- 2 large apples (260g apple)
- 180g raspberries
- 100g raspberries
- 40ml condensed milk
- 20ml thickened cream
- Pre-heat the oven to 180c degrees and line a 25cm cake tin with baking paper.
- Place the butter and sugar into a bowl and using electric beaters whisk the mix for 3 minutes until light and fluffy.
- Add the vanilla essence and whisk until combine.
- Add the eggs, one at a time beating, in between each addition.
- Add the yoghurt and beat until combine.
- Add the flour and beat on low until just combine.
- Peel the apples with a fruit peeler.
- Using a hand slicer mandolin cut the apple into thin slices.
- Add the raspberries to the mix and carefully stir through.
- Add half the cake batter into the tin and flatten the top with a spoon.
- Add half the apple slices in a fan pattern.
- Add the remaining batter and flatten the top with the back of the spoon.
- Add the remaining apple slices in a fan pattern.
- Sprinkle the extra 1tbsn sugar over the apple slices. Bake in the oven for 1 hour or until a skewer inserted into the center comes out clean.
- Place the cake onto a cake rack to cool completely.
- Meanwhile to make the raspberry sauce, place the raspberries into a saucepan with the condensed milk.
- On a high heat stir until the raspberries have disintegrated.
- Pour the sauce through a sieve to remove the seeds.
- Pour the sauce over the cake.
- Pour the thickened cream over the cake and enjoy!
- Step 10
- Step 13
- Step 17
- Step 18
Like this recipe? Subscribe via RSS or email to get my new entries and more scrumptious recipes with reviews.